Thursday, April 05, 2007

Disgrace

I just can't believe the cowardice of the British sailors and marines kidnapped by Iran. When it happened, I prayed the ones who'd shamed their country would be court-martialed on return to Blighty, and given dishonorable discharges after a couple years breaking rocks in the Outer Hebrides. Now, I confess, I wouldn't shed a tear if some worse fate befell them.

The only coherent response I get to these sentiments is: "How do you know what they've been through? How would YOU stand up?" To which the obvious reply is the one Dr. Johnson gave in some similar case: "I may criticize a carpenter who makes me a bad table, though I cannot make a table myself. It is not my job to make tables." It is the job of a Royal Marine to fight, and if necessary suffer and die, for his country. They know that when they go in. It's what they are told! I know that if put to the test, I would stand up as well as any Marine. Whether or not I would, however, is irrelevant. Whether or not I could stand up well to torture, I expect Marines to.

And in any case, there was no evidence of torture or mistreatment in any of the filmed cases I have seen. They look just fine. You can't fake that. The girl sailor had that headscarf on within hours. From what I've heard of torture, even weaker cases can hold out for a few days.

As for the argument that these people might have buckled under threats to hurt their comrades, I should think a soldier's answer would be: "They are soldiers, same as me. They know the risks of service, and they'll answer for themselves."

In any case, a trained soldier will have been instructed that these Iranian fanatics are without any scruples. They practice what Lenin called "revolutionary morality"—i.e. whatever advances the revolution is good, whatever does not, is bad. It should be assumed that everything the Iranians say is a lie. If they say: "Do this, and we won't harm your mates," and you do it, they will harm your mates anyway. Of course, this kind of truth is much harder to get across to young people who have been brainwashed from elementary school to believe that their own culture is corrupt, evil, and false, while the cultures of Third World barbarians are morally superior...

Update 4/14/2007:

One of my readers has notified me that my post has been plagiarized by someone at the National Review Online. Thank you for letting me know. I have contacted that publication and demanded that I be credited for the piece.

4 Comments:

At 4/05/2007 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you!! Why didn't the Brits put up a fight? Whats wrong with this world. When are honest freedom loving people going to stand strong. Our nations do not know what to stand for. Will it be too late? Will we fall to the fanatic Muslims? or will God bring judgement on us for not standing for righteousness?

 
At 4/05/2007 10:27 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

Anonymous: The problem with Britain is they've never been in a real war. Really, the British are simply English speaking Frenchmen. I hate them. I wish they'd stop speaking our language. It gives English a bad name.

To answer your questions: Yes, this is what Hillary Pelosi has wrought upon us.

 
At 4/12/2007 9:01 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

Mosquito: James Cook was another British coward who couldn't even tuff out a little bump to the head by some hula dancer. Billy Bligh was a real American.

Get your facts straight or move to San Francisco.

 
At 4/14/2007 2:38 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

Anonymous: True leaders don't pay attention to polls nor idiots that insult them.

 

<< Home